Links for Advisors
- Advising "cheat sheet" for faculty advisors: contains allowable substitutions, honors requirements (university vs departmental), minimum grade info, GES 275X registration guidance, etc. (students do not have access to this document)
- GES 275X signup spreadsheet (students are not permitted access to this document)
Links for Current Students
- Every GES major is assigned a faculty advisor, even before you are able to formally declare your major. If you have less than 30 hours of credits, you will be required to sign up for early career science advising. Emails from the Department Chair and your assigned early career advisor will send out information for how to do this.
- Regardless of where you are in the major, you will be unable to register for classes until you meet with your GES faculty advisor who will give you your registration PIN. Don't know who your advisor is? Log in to DegreeWorks and it will show you up at the top of the page.
- Do not assume you can skip your advising appointment and still get into the classes you need to graduate on time. We do not give out PINs until you meet with us!
Am I in the right major?
- Is the program of study I've chosen right for my career goals? (make sure that you don't have any misconceptions about what your chosen degree and concentration will actually train you to do!)
What classes do I need?
- DegreeWorks (familiarize yourself with this program!). DegreeWorks allows you to do the following things:
- check your overall GPA
- see what courses you still have left to take
- do "What if" scenarios where you see what courses you'd still need if you change your major or concentration or catalog year
- see what notes your advisor has left you about what classes you should take
- if any transfer credit or AP credit has been applied to your required courses
- if you are on track with your Gen Ed requirements and designators
- GES Programs of Study
- Prerequisites in GES (pdf of large format prereq/coreq flow chart)
Registering for classes
- Registrar's Office - search for classes by term
- When can I register?
- Registering for GES 2750/2751/2752
- Registering for Chemistry (CHE 1101/1110, CHE 1102/1120)
Bulletin and Four-Year Guides
Transfer Course Equivalency and Junior Year Abroad programs
- Transfer Course Equivalency
- Education Abroad Programs through Appalachian
- Planning to do a year or semester somewhere else, particularly at a school that App is not associated with? Be sure to read this first.
- Change your Gen Ed themes (via Appalnet)
- General Education program of study (scroll down to bottom of page to get most recent)
Changing or declaring your major, minor, or concentration, and changing Gen Ed themes:
- Declare your major (if you have more than 30 hours, have completed RC1000 and UCO1200, and have at least a 2.0 GPA)
- Change of major/minor/catalog year (if already declared, and have at least a GPA of 2.0... but concentration changes do not require a minimum GPA)
Honors and Independent Studies
- Honors Program Requirements
- GES Honors Contract (PDF)
- Senior Thesis (4501/4510) course approval form (PDF)
- CAS Independent Study Forms (PDF)