Requesting Geological Materials from ASU GES:
If you are a faculty member at a higher education institution looking to borrow geological samples, please contact GES lab manager Anthony Love (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you are a K12 or informal science educator looking for rock and fossil samples, please contact GES outreach coordinator Marta Toran (email@example.com).
Click here to browse our LOANER KITS.
Workshops and Meetings:
Members of the Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences organize educational workshops and meetings for students of all ages, teachers, and the general public. Please contact Dr. Bill Anderson the Department Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org) for general questions, Dr. Andrew Heckert (email@example.com) for paleontology related workshops and Marta Toran (firstname.lastname@example.org) for workshops for teachers.
During the 2020-2021 school year, due to the pandemic, Rockin NC workshops were offered virtually, with over 2000 individual, mini Rockin NC kits provided to students. We look forward to returning to in-person PD workshops and anticipate to host at least one Rockin NC workshop during the 2021-22 school year. Follow our social media for updates and to grab a spot! (Twitter- @app_earth_sci and Facebook- @appalachiangeology)
- Water On The Move- PD worshop for Gr3-12 teachers on hydrology topics and water resources in North Carolina. (Boone, NC 7/23/2019)
- "Rockin' North Carolina"- PD workshop for 4th Grade teachers focusing on rocks and minerals. In collaboration with Vulcan Materials and Discovery Place. (Charlotte, NC on 8/1/2019)
- "Rockin' North Carolina"- PD workshop for 4th Grade teachers focusing on rocks and minerals. In collaboration with Vulcan Materials and Kaleideum. (Winston-Salem, NC on 11/2/2019)
- Deep Time Toolbox for Educators- A summer professional development workshop for Middle School teachers (geared mainly to 8th grade earth science standards but open to grade 6-8 educators) focused on historical geology and fossils.
- Rockin' North Carolina- A summer professional development workshop for 4th Grade teachers hosted by AppState GES and Vulcan Materials, with support from the Math and Science Education Center. For more information, visit the workshop page.
- NSTA 2018 "Decomposition and Fossilization"
- NCSTA 2017 "Rockin' First Grade: A Hands on look at rocks"
- NCSTA 2016 "Free Earth Science Resources for Teachers @Appalachian Geology"
- NC Space Grant Teachers Workshop
- Souteastern Association of Vertebrate Paleontologists Meeting (August 9-11, 2012)
- NC Space Grant Teachers Workshop (summer 2011)