Information for Transfer and Early College High School Students

More than 40% of Appalachian's incoming students are transfer students.  

  • Although it may seem like a good idea to enter Appalachian's Geological and Environmental Sciences program with a completed Associates degree, there can be prerequisites and scheduling issues that makes a timely graduation for transfer students who already have an Associates degree unlikely.  Instead of juggling four lab classes per semester, we recommend transferring to Appalachian earlier in your academic career so your schedule has more flexibility. 
  • Students with their Associates Degree completed at the time of entrance are not required to take General Education classes.  This can be challenging for transfer students in the Geological and Environmental Sciences, who find themselves with a concentration of upper level lab classes that they must take all at the same time.
  • If you are currently at another school but are planning to transfer to Appalachian to major in Geology or Environmental Science, we strongly recommend taking the equivalents of RC 1000, CHE 1101 and 1102, MAT 1101 and 1102, and if possible, PHY 1150 and 1151 prior to transferring.  This will allow you to take a variety of upper level courses in the GES department upon arrival, and will keep you on track to graduate in a more timely manner.
  •  Potential transfer students should contact Dr. Steve Hageman (our department's Transfer Student faculty mentor) with questions.


The pros and cons of transferring with a fully completed Associates Degree:

 Pros of transferring early (Associates Degree not complete)

Pros of transferring with a completed Associates Degree

 You will have more credit hours at Appalachian, which will allow for a bit of “buffering” of your GPA in case of a bad grade at Appalachian (it is important to remember that while your transfer courses and credits are shown on your transcript, the grades received from these transfer courses are not counted in your GPA)

Your total education costs a bit less ... maybe.

There can be barriers to completing a geology or environmental science degree within two years in our program, as most of our majors classes have a number of prerequisites, both within our department (GES 2250, GES 2745/3105) as well as outside of our department (particularly within writing courses, Chemistry, Math, and Physics). If you do not come in with transfer credits for CHE 1101/1110, CHE 1102/1120, MAT 1110, and RC_2001 it will be very challenging to complete your degree within two years.

 You'll have better rapport and familiarity with faculty and staff, and get to know your classmates early on

 You have an Associates Degree in hand if Appalachian doesn't work out for you?

 You will have time to explore different degree tracks and specialize in what interests you


 You may have the opportunity to fully develop a research project with a professor, including a possible senior thesis and/or presentation at professional meetings


You will have a far less hectic schedule (with usually at least one non math/science class each semester)


You are less likely to need summer school to squeeze in all your requirements and any prerequisites


You may choose to pursue a minor in addition to the major 


Useful links for transfer students: