Marta Toran is a lecturer in the Department of Geological and Environmental Science. She teaches the Introduction to Environmental Science course (GES1010), Oceanography Lab (GES1105) and two First Year Seminars (UCO1200): “Science and the Public” and "Visualizing Environmental Science."
Marta also serves as the Outreach Coordinator for the department. Before teaching at the college level, she taught middle and high school science in the UK and the US, has a PGCE in Science Education from Oxford University and a M.S. in Science Education from Montana State University. She has been involved in STEM outreach initiatives here at Appalachian State since 2013 and currently serves as the Outreach Coordinator for the Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences. Marta is in charge of facilitating school group visits to the McKinney Teaching Museum and the Fred Webb Rock Garden, as well as fostering long-term relationships with regional K12 schools by providing guest speakers, classroom materials, loaner kits and professional development workshops for educators. Marta also manages the “Geobago” Mobile Earth and Environmental Science Lab , the GES department’s outreach website and the Water on the Move website for hydrology outreach.
For more information about Marta’s outreach work, see the following articles:
- Burnette, E. (2019, July 30). App State and community partner to strengthen K–12 science education. Appalachian Today. Retrieved from today.appstate.edu/2019/07/30/partnership
- (2019, August 27). GES Holds Two More Summer Workshops for Teachers. Retrieved from https://earth.appstate.edu/news/ges-hosts-two-more-summer-workshops-teachers(2019, June 19). Geological and Environmental Sciences K-12 Science Education Strengthened by Community Partnership. High Country Press. Retrieved from https://www.hcpress.com.
- Stump, J. (2019, May 30) Picture Yourself as an Earth Scientist. Appalachian Today. Retrieved from https://today.appstate.edu/2019/05/30/pyes.
- (2018, August 27). Summer 2018 Workshop Series for Elementary Teachers. Retrieved from https://earth.appstate.edu/news/summer-2018-workshop-series-elementary-teachers
- M.S. Montana State University
- P.G.C.E. Oxford University
- B.S. University of New Hampshire
- UCO 1200 - First Year Seminar
- GES 1010 - Introduction to Environmental Science
- GES 1105 - Oceanography Lab
- GES 2353 - Public and K-12 Outreach in Geological and Evnironmental Sciences
Website and CV
Title: Lecturer and Outreach Coordinator
Department: Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences
Email address: Email me