Dr. Bob Swarthout is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemistry, but with affiliate status in the Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences. Dr. Swarthout is an analytical environmental chemist who studies the environmental impacts of organic compounds and pollutants on air quality, water quality, and climate. He is one of the primary affiliated faculty in the Environmental Science degree track.
- B.S. Chemistry and Biology, SUNY Cortland
- M.S. Environmental Studies, College of Charleston
- Ph.D. Earth Systems Science, University of New Hampshire
- CHE/GES 3310 - Global Biogeochemical Cycles
- ENV 3105 - Preparation for Careers in Environmental Science
- CHE 1110 - Introductory Chemistry Lab 1
- CHE 3561 - Instrumental Chemistry Lab
- CHE 4620 - Environmental Chemistry Capstone
Visit Dr. Swarthout's profile on Google Scholar.
- Bostic, J. T., Aeppli, C., Swarthout, R. F., Reddy, C. M., & Ziolkowski, L. A. (2019). Ongoing biodegradation of Deepwater Horizon oil in Beach Sands: Insights from tracing petroleum carbon into microbial biomass. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 141, 611-611.
- Lemkau, K. L., Reddy, C. M., Carmichael, C. A., Aeppli, C., Swarthout, R. F., & White, H. K. (2019). Hurricane Isaac brings more than oil ashore: Characteristics of beach deposits following the Deepwater Horizon spill. PloS one, 14(3), e0213464.
- Santos, F. R., Martins, D. A., Morais, P. C., Oliveira, A. H., Gama, A. F., Nascimento, R. F., ... Swarthout, R. F. ... & Reddy, C. M. (2019). Influence of anthropogenic activities and risk assessment on protected mangrove forest using traditional and emerging molecular markers (Ceará coast, northeastern Brazil). Science of the Total Environment, 656, 877-888.
- Lima, M. F., Fernandes, G. M., Oliveira, A. H., Morais, P. C., Marques, E. V., Santos, F. R., ... Swarthout, R. F. ... & Cavalcante, R. M. (2019). Emerging and traditional organic markers: Baseline study showing the influence of untraditional anthropogenic activities on coastal zones with multiple activities (Ceará coast, Northeast Brazil). Marine Pollution Bulletin, 139, 256-262.
Title: Affiliated Environmental Science Faculty (Department of Chemistry)
Department: Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-4083